“We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year”
As we come to the end of 2017 we want to share some Personal, Home, Child and Winter Driving safety to help protect yourself and your family over the festive season.
We sincerely hope that you have an enjoyable and safe Christmas and a truly wonderful New Year. We’re looking forward to being ‘at your service’ for all your 2018 Insurance needs.
Christmas Safety at Home – Tree and Decorations
- Buy your decorations/tree from a reputable source checking that they meet safety standards.
- Ensure your decorations/tree are fire-resistant. This will reduce the risk of them catching fire however every care still needs to be taken.
- If your tree is real:
- be aware that some are sprayed with chemicals to prevent the needles from shedding. These chemicals can be flammable.
- Remember the drier the tree the more of a fire hazard it is
- Position your tree safely and securely away from doorways, passage ways, fire, radiators and heaters.
- Keep all related packaging in a secure place out of reach and sight of children
- Avoid decorations that are easily broken – this will help minimise cuts to children should they reach them.
- Check your decorations don’t contain small parts – these could pose a choking risk to children.
- Always buy fire- resistant decorations.
- Do not hang decorations near or from light fittings as this is a potential fire risk.
- Do not hang, attach or balance decorations, stockings or cards on the fireplace or surrounding area. Spark/heat from the fire could set them alight. They might also tempt children reach for the fireplace.
- If using heavy holders for Christmas stockings, be mindful that children may pull them down causing serious injury. Keep them out of reach of children.